Wednesday, December 14, 2011

GC#130 Spicy Supply Challenge

This week at Gingersnap Creations it's time for the Spicy Supply Challenge with the theme of wax. I tried my hand with a beeswax collage. Starting with a canvas board base I had a lot of fun seeing how the wax interacted with the various elements. I really love what it does with vintage paper making it kind of translucent - on my music piece, you can just barely see the opposite side too. I did find that it was easier to create a collage first with your paper pieces and adhere them to the canvas board using gel medium rather than trying to use just the wax and add the pieces layer by layer. Also if you use any ink jet images as I did with my French Kissed postcard image and Green Paper calendar image, spraying the paper first with a workable fixative prevented any color bleeding when you worked with the hot wax. I did find that embedding things into the wax was very cool - I used chipboard letters and numbers and a piece of gaffer tape. Finally, I liked stamping into the hot wax with a Paperbag Studio flourish stamp and accenting the area with Perfect Pearls.

Here's a close-up to see the stamping.

Check out the GC blog HERE to see other cool projects made by the rest of the team using wax and add our own project to the challenge which runs until January 8th. Also 1 randomly chosen entry will win a digital holiday collage sheet from Pennywise arts, this month's sponsor.

11 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is absolutely stunning!!! I love beeswax...it completely transforms! The stamped image is wonderful as well!!!

Netty said...

Stunning effect, x

Anonymous said...

Exquisite! Love the effects you achieved with the beeswax! Beautiful!

Sherry said...

Absoultely gorgeous Penny! I love working with beeswax too.

Anonymous said...

Wax is certainly very special to work with and like yourself, I adore the translucent effect you can achieve.
Stunning art from you Penny.
Lynne x

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

This is absolutely beautiful,Penny!
Happy Holidays.
Hugs,
Marie

Jeany said...

hi Penny, how great you made this, I hope my holliday wishes have arrived at your place? Have a great christmas time. Love janine

2amscrapper said...

so beautiful! I love the depth created with the layers and embellishments.

JulesinParadise said...

Ok, now I have to buy some bees wax and give it a shot hoping my efforts turn out half as good as yours. LOVE the stamping into the wax and all your lovely details.

Ana Márquez said...

Really beautiful!!

I wish you a very happy Christmas and a new year full of blessings for you :-)
Ana

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A breathtaking piece, love the use of the wax.