Saturday, September 17, 2011

Curiouser and Curiouser

Two current challenges had themes that I loved : "Metal" at Inspiration Emporium monthly challenge for September and "Steampunk" at Simon Says Stamp and Show, and I finally had some free time which means play time! I love the Steampunk style and have made projects from an inventor point of view, but this time I wanted to make a Steampunk creature and created my bird. She is constructed using metal foil tape on a chipboard diecut which I then embossed, alcohol inked, and sanded. I added gears, eyelets, brads and wire springs to her tail feathers. She's layered on top of stacked cabinet card diecuts - the smaller one is covered with paper that I first clear embossed with a blue print design and then inked with chipped sapphire Distress Stain. The type charms dangling from the bottom just seemed to be a good fit - and more metal!

Stamp credits: Oxford Impressions and Stampers Anonymous

11 comments:

Candy C said...

I Penny. I LOVE your steampunk bird. He's amazing! Love the embossing, the wire wrapping, the added gears, etc. He's mounted on a really cool background. Love the blue! And then the dangling "BIRD" charms....perfect! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Anonymous said...

Super-cool bird! Miss Pauline is happy with her move to Florida and is doing fine :) She misses you though!

Jeany said...

I'm totally in love with this piece, what a great Art you made. Just beautiful!! Have a great sunday, big hug from Janine

Martina said...

Penny, this is very impressive.
Stunning work!!!!

Gillian .... said...

Hi Penny, love how you have created an ever so cool steampunk birdie, very cool!

Createology said...

I am really enjoying all the steampunk art that is being made. Your little bird is fabulous. Blissful inspirations to you...

ellen vargo designs said...

Hi Penny - sorry I'm a little late getting to you, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your steampunk bird! The gears and wire and charms are all just amazing. Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp!

Ellen :)

Lori said...

Fabulous creation, Penny! Love how you thought out of the box on this!

Paula J Atkinson said...

I love this piece because it looks like something a mad scientist put together, very vintage & unusual. The sort of thing to find in an Old Curiosity Shop

Anonymous said...

Astonishing!!!
I always love your spin on Steampunk as you make it quite unique.
Brilliant use of metal.
We have discussed this before that it is not only the finishing artwork it is the process required in creating it and that is what makes you so special. I would love to be a fly on the wall when you create.
Lynne x

Trishia said...

your versatility never ceases to amaze me. so much variety and style!! perfect combo of bird and steampunk:)