Monday, September 5, 2011

Summer canvas collage


Labor Day always feels like the end of summer, so I thought I'd share a collage done on a piece of canvas for an online class I took that is very summery. The background is painted by using leaves and flowers with paint on them to essentially monoprint. I used tansy and columbine leaves and to add the painted flowers, I used individual tansy flowers. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and very dense allowing me to create dots and combine them into a flower shape. I was glad to put that horrible flower/herb/weed to some good use! It's an invasive plant that grows about 4 feet tall, and the flowers start out as a bright yellow, but change to a dark brown pretty quickly. The photos are TAP transfers of the lilies that grow in our yard and I've embellished the canvas with fabric, lace, buttons, machine stitching and inked rolled muslin roses. Of course I had to keep practicing with my dip pen and india ink, too - slowly getting better ;-) Hope you're enjoying your end of summer!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly captured summer. A beautiful piece of art to see you through the harsh winter days.
I've never used TAP, do you recommend it?
Lynne x

Anonymous said...

Very pretty, I love the leaf prints!

penny4thoughts said...

Most definitely I recommend TAP (Lesley Riley's Transfer Artist Paper). It's very reliable for me and you can just use an ink jet printer and then iron it on.

Elaine A said...

This is such a lovely piece Penny. What a beautiful job little treasure you've created. I love it!

Elaine Allen

2amscrapper said...

This is so pretty, Penny!

2amscrapper said...

Penny, I love this creation!

Lori said...

Love it! Gorgeous! And, I've wanted to try the TAP, but have been scared too, now you've convinced me I must! lol!

Anonymous said...

Lovely!