Monday, April 16, 2012

RRD Rebel Challenge #10

The newest Rebel Challenge at Rogue Redhead Designs is an interesting one - use any colors from the Pantone Spring 2012 Fashion Colors list and create a stamped project. The list includes 10 colors - quite a few to choose from! My idea was to use a masterboard concept, creating a colorful, random background on a 9x12 sheet of watercolor paper and then.....

...see how many cards I could make!

My supplies were simple: I used two watercolor crayons for my base color inspired by Pantone's bellflower and margarita and stamped the background from Beach Babes after coloring on the stamp and spritzing with water. Those two colors - periwinkle and yellow green - really evoke spring flowers to me. Then I stamped the bud from Floriculture with archival ink, inspired by Pantone's solar yellow, and finally randomly stamped text and a border from Relish Reading with StazOn - the only dark blue ink I had - inspired by Pantone's sodalite blue.

The easiest card to make was to cut a piece of the masterboard to create a background.

Next, I cut out simple shapes, attached them to a card base and roughly doodled around them.

Another idea was to cut inchies and inch-and-a-half-sies (what are you supposed to call the bigger version lol!) and arrange them in grids.

Finally I still had scraps left, so I cut them into strips of random widths and haphazardly wove them into a pattern. I was amazed at how many cards you could produce from the masterboard. I even used two more Pantone colors for inspiration - starfish is similar to the kraft card base - and the tiny strips of dark brown are inspired by driftwood. All the stamped sentiments on each card are from Bits and Pieces.

I'm not sure that Shar had it in mind to use quite that many colors in one project when she set the challenge, but I had a lot of fun with all the different ones I chose. Hope you'll join in and add your project on the challenge post HERE before May 7th - one random winner will receive $15 to use in the Rogue Redhead Designs store!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

These are fantastic, I just loved the begining sheet, and then to see what you had done with it was amazing, Your eye for style and colour is really good. Debbiexx

Anonymous said...

A wonderful idea and something I could see in print (just an idea!)
Colours are so full of vitality.
Wishes
Lynne

Debbie K. said...

Great looking cards, Penny! Love the colors you used and was amazed at how many different variations you came up with.
- DebbieK

Anonymous said...

I love all your different designs! Beautifully done! I think it's awesome that you were able to add in so many of the colors!

K said...

great masterboard! love your card creations you made with it!