Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Heat

It has been SO HOT here! My thermometer measured 95 on Monday - ugh! I'm much more of a cool weather girl, but was inspired by all the heat to make this piece that I suppose is more about cooling off than it is about heat! The piece is all on metal, two pieces actually. First I stamped the Melanie Sage stamp of 2 vintage bathers onto aluminum with StazOn and embossed a frame free hand with a stylus. This is adhered to a second piece of aluminum that I stamped a swirl stamp (Purple Onion Designs) onto the back and used that as a template to emboss with my stylus. A fun way to get another use from a stamp. I covered that piece with alcohol inks in Pool and Sailboat Blue (appropriate summer colors, don't you think?) and sanded off the embossing to reveal the silvery aluminum. The right edge is a border stamp by Technique Tuesday that I stamped using Ranger's Jet Black Archival instead of StazOn and found it to be just as permanent on the metal. If you're inspired by the heat, why not make a piece and submit it to the Chestnut Theme challenge at Gingersnap Creations HERE.

5 comments:

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Penny,
oooh,I'm melting here too (Germany and that's without AC.Love your newest creation.That cooled me down a bit just thinking about the ocean.
Thanks for sharing.Have a wonderful weekend and stay cool!Hugs,
Marie

Lori said...

Great piece, Penny! That's coincidental, I just did a metal piece too! Great minds, you know.... Love the sailboat blue, looks like cool water to me!

Lynn Stevens said...

Well I'm cooled off just seeing it! LOL
Its refreshing to say the least! Love it!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

You are inspiring me to stamp onto metal - must try this and soon although I doubt I will achieve the amazing results that you always do. Stamping Perfection! Lynne x

Anonymous said...

Wonderful piece! Love the metallic base!