Sunday, March 20, 2011

Possibilities with Art Journals

Recently I've been intrigued with art journaling and the entire process of creating multiple layers for a background and then playing around with embellishing it in whatever direction your brain takes you. Use a quote, a random thought, or whatever comes to mind, but just create for the joy of creating whether or not anyone sees it, so you are free to mess up. This week I found videos on Donna Downey's blog about her "Inspiration Week" showing her process of creating a fantastic, artistic canvas journal. So yesterday, instead of doing laundry or cleaning my house, I made 2 handmade journals, 1 has pages of watercolour paper and the other is from bristol paper, sewed them together with waxed linen thread and glued them into bookboard covers I made covering one with papers and gaffer tape and the other with canvas. To the canvas one I added layers of watered down acrylic paints - grey, green and blue and maybe I'll stamp a cool flourish on the cover......hmmmmm....so many possibilities!

Here are some of the blank inside pages - I even sewed in inclusions of a shipping tag, envelopes, and vintage sheet music.



Now I have my own journals to start to play in. And this morning when I checked Donna's blog, I was the winner of her giveaway for yesterday's supplies - how cool is that!!!! I can't wait to play, and who knows, maybe I'll be brave enough to share some of my experiments.

6 comments:

Jeany said...

Hi Penny, I recently did an online course, making a journal too, was most fun to make, so I love yours too, .... I seem to love everything you make, ☺ but that is Ok I think, I just admire you and your blog so much. Kind regards, Janine

Createology said...

Your journals are amazing and they await your creative talents. You have opened an entire new world of creativity. Happy journaling...

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Congratulations on your prize!
Both journals are very special. I know many friends who keep an Art Journal but it isn't something I have ventured into as yet so I will be interested to discover if you find it worthwhile.
Have a great week.
Lynne x

Debbie K. said...

Great journals, Penny. Congrats on winning the giveaway. I'm sure you'll put your treasures to good use. Can't wait to see what you create next:)

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Love your books...they look great!! Thanks for the tip on the video too. Congrats on winning the goodies.

Trishia said...

Penny, it was truly serendipitous that you won. You deserve it:) I like the 'inclusions' you added to your journal. When I first saw the photo, I thought they were store bought journals. Your work is always so professional!